Building a Global Community: How We Adhere to Fair Trade and Ethical Sourcing StandardsFair Trade & Ethical Sourcing: Good for Your Soul By Karen Akst Schecter
Here at the Aesthetic Sense: Goods for the Soul, we believe in knowing the origins of the creations that we showcase. For the artists who we know personally, we know their stories, and we know that they share our values. In our mind, they do not need any certification: we know they are ethical in all that they do and create.
For the artists that we don’t know personally, we turn to those who do, and that is where fair trade certification comes in.
The World Fair Trade Organization defines Fair Trade as follows:
“Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect, that seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers. . .
“Fair Trade organizations have a clear commitment to Fair Trade as the principal core of their mission. They, backed by consumers, are engaged actively in supporting producers, awareness raising and in campaigning for changes in the rules and practice of conventional international trade.
“Fair Trade is more than just trading:
- It proves that greater justice in world trade is possible.
- It highlights the need for change in the rules and practice of conventional trade and shows how a successful business can also put people first.
- It is a tangible contribution to the fight against poverty, climate change and economic crisis.”
The fair trade certifications on which we rely not only ensure that fair trade and ethical sourcing principles are followed as we support small artisans and their communities, they also represent support of the battle against global poverty and inequality.
For more information on Fair Trade and its principles, please visit the World Fair Trade Organization website.
FAIR TRADE AND ETHICALLY SOURCED PRODUCTS: Goods for the Soul
Share your thoughts
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Most Popular Posts
- Shokeling When I Pray: Is it Good for My Soul? Walk into virtually any synagogue service at any time o...
- Tikkun Olam: Repairing the World, One Sale at a Time Originally found in the Mishna and viewed as a social p...
- The Most Meaningful Bar and Bat Mitzvah Gifts EVER: Ethical Sourcing and Becoming a Child of the Commandments The Bar and Bat Mitzvah ceremony, or, more accurately...